- Green Day
- Green Team
- Adopt a Park Site
- Essex Community Energy
- Green Business Program
- Citizens' Eco-Forum
- Community Garden
- Environmental Advisory Committee
- Garbage Collection Proposal
- Green Meal Specials
- Green Month
- Green Teen Challenge
- Maplewood's Action Plan
- Maplewood Climate Initiative
- MapSOMil Green Teams
- PTA Eco Forum
- Rahway Greenway
- Re:Yard Pilot Program
- Shred It Day
- Video Gallery
- In the Media
Maplewood is Green
Welcome to Maplewood is Green!
Maplewood is Green is your single, go-to place for all things green. Whether you are a local resident, business owner, council member, or service provider, you will find everything you need to go green—and stay green.
Come to this site to gain valuable information on Maplewood’s goals, learn best practices for every arena, and meet your friends and neighbors who are doing the same.
Maplewoodians are committed to reducing our carbon footprint by saving on energy consumption, finding green alternatives at every turn, recycling whenever possible, going local with food, products, and services. But, most of all Maplewood Is Green reflects our devotion to ensuring sustainability for future generations.
Green Team News
Green Day is here!
Saturday, June 18th, 2016 11 am – 4 pm
Maplewood Memorial Park
WHEN: 11:00 – 4:00 pm, Saturday, June 18, 2016 (Click here for downloadable schedule)
WHERE: Memorial Park between Dunnell Rd. and Maplewood Ave., directly across from NJ Transit Maplewood Station, Maplewood, NJ
WHAT: Maplewood New Jersey is hosting its 8th Green Day fair to demonstrate simple ways that every person can make more planet-friendly, sustainable choices in their everyday lives. With an expected turn-out of over 5,000 attendees, the fair is a community celebration with live music, how-to demonstrations, and over 70 eco-vendors, environmental organizations, organic and local food providers and farmers. Green Day offers a variety of events and activities for all ages.
- Access to more than 70 green vendors and exhibitors with the latest products and services for a sustainable community
- Delicious organic and local food from over 10 restaurants and farms
- All-electric vehicle (EV) car show with models from Tesla, Toyota, Ford and others
- “Live Animals of the Rain Forest” presentations by Rizzo’s Reptiles
- Hands-on science fun with Vinny Voltage
- Live bands all day: David Easton Band, Mood Ring, The Wild Shots, Kelly Jin-Hendel
- Demonstrations: organic lawn installation, backyard composting, chicken raising, growing native plants and vegetables, retrofitting old homes, green cleaning, cold brew and more
- Bike repair clinic and fun riding arena with free monitored bike parking
- Planet-friendly fun activities include a solar-powered bouncy house, face painting, kid’s environmental games, Girl and Boy Scout Troops hands-on learning and more
- Sustainable school projects including an outdoor learning center, solar cookers and solar powered robots from five schools: Seth Boyden, Tuscan, Maplewood Middle, South Mountain & Columbia HS
- Maplewood Green Team program presentations: re:Yard for sustainable yard care, Essex Community Energy for resident energy rebates, Adopt a Park Site for local park clean-ups and Green Business registry for local businesses.
WHO: As part of its year-round effort to promote sustainability in the community, the township of Maplewood has a Green Day sustainability fair each year. With a long tradition of being a leader in sustainability initiatives, the township of Maplewood uses this event to highlight existing programs, share different ways of reducing one’s environmental impact, and engage and teach residents of all ages. The fair is organized by a volunteer committee made up of members of the Maplewood Green Team and municipal leadership and staff.
BRING: Bikes and trikes, ride-on toys and wagons, reusable water bottles and reusable shopping bags
SPONSORS: Maplewood Township Committee, PSEG, The Lichtman Rabney Group, Profeta Farms, the Able Baker, Arturo’s, Acorn Home Improvement, Pearl’s Premium Lawn Seed, Whole Foods NJ, Clean Communities Council and PUR20.
For more info, click here
Recycling pickups are every Monday.
For information on what can be recycled click here.
For more information about the township of Maplewood, click here.